Smoking is one of the leading causes of death in our country, killing almost 1lakh people every year.
Smoking is an addiction, which can destroy your life in ways you can’t even imagine. If you don’t want to be a slave to nicotine for life, and want to break free, follow these tips.
- Challenge yourself – Quitting smoking is a gradual process, it won’t happen overnight. Therefore, set goals which you can accomplish. Give yourself the challenge to not smoke for next 2 days, rather than giving yourself a challenge to not smoke for the rest of your life.
- Replace your cravings with healthier options – Whenever you feel like having that next cigarette, replace your craving with something healthy like your favourite fruit, your favourite chocolate or something which you really love. Also, don’t hang out in a smoking-zone and keep yourself away from your smoking circle for a while.
- Maintain a piggy bank – The money which you were spending every month on smoking, put all that money in a piggy bank. It will give you a positive motivation towards your goal of quitting smoking.
- Seek support – It’s definitely not easy to stop smoking, therefore, talk to your parents, friends about it. Tell them how you are feeling, and ask for their help in this. You can also talk to people who have successfully quit smoking or who are trying like you to quit it.
- Remember the reason why you started at the first place – When it gets tougher to quit, keep remembering why you started on this path of quitting. Also, you can make a list of things which can improve in your life if you quit smoking, like a healthier lifestyle, healthy lungs and a more meaningful life. Remember the benefits and don’t stop midway.
As soon as you quit, your body starts repairing the damage you did to yourself. Quitting smoking can make a drastic improvement to your health! Give it a try for yourself!