Heat and humidity majorly affect people with chronic diseases! And if you have diabetes, the situation gets worsen in the summer.
Follow these tips for a stress-less summer!
- Stay hydrated – Dehydration can happen on these very hot summer days whether you have diabetes or not. But if you have diabetes, you need to be extra careful about your liquid intake. Keep yourself fully hydrated by drinking at least 10-12 glasses of water every day.
- Check blood glucose levels regularly – Summer heat can make your blood glucose levels to fluctuate. Don’t forget to carry lots of liquid and snacks wherever you go. It’s more important than ever in these summers!
- Don’t ignore the signs of heat exhaustion – People with diabetes are more susceptible to heat. So if you are at work, or if you are exercising outdoors, don’t ignore the signs of heat exhaustion. Some symptoms are: headaches, fatigue, rapid heartbeat, fainting, and if you experience these symptoms, don’t think twice before moving to a cooler environment, and seek medical attention.
- Do not store insulin in extreme temperatures – Always store insulin or blood glucose meter or strips at a dry, cool place. Don’t ever put them in a freezer on under direct sunlight.
- Exercise at a cool place or at moderate temperatures – Don’t exercise under a fan in this dreadful summer, always exercise at a cool place like at an air conditioned gym, or exercise in the evening with moderate temperature.
Diabetes can also have serious health complications, if not taken care of! Keep a track of your diabetes with Oncquest’s affordable Fitness Health Package! Get screened at the comfort of home, and avail the reports online.
Stay safe this season and don’t let summer heat take a toll on your health!
People often blame their luck, when it comes to Cancer. But instead of bad luck, our lifestyle & food habits play a bigger role in giving birth to Cancer!
Most of the Cancers are lifestyle related, and with appropriate changes, you can easily reduce the risk of developing Cancer.
Below are some of the things you can do to keep Cancer at bay:
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables – Diet plays a crucial role in your overall health. If you eat the right food, your chances of getting diseases become lesser. Garlic, broccoli, green tea, red grapes, tomatoes are some of the things you should eat to lower your risk of Cancer.
- Be physically active – Being physically active doesn’t mean going to the gym and lifting heavy weights! If you are not a gym person, take up any other activity which you enjoy, like yoga, dancing, boxing, etc. You can also make small lifestyle changes like taking stairs instead of the lift; this will result in maintaining a proper weight and thus lowering your risk of Breast, Colon and many other Cancers.
- Say no to smoking – Everyone knows smoking is not good for health. In fact, it is one of the leading causes of Cancer, worldwide! Not only Lung Cancer, but Liver, Kidney, Pancreas, Colon and other Cancers are also related to smoking. Quit smoking and lead a healthy life now!
- Avoid packaged foods – Packaged foods have high levels of sugar and sodium, which is very bad for your health! These foods are surely less time consuming, but can increase your Cancer risk. Stay away from packaged foods!
- Limit your alcohol intake – Regular consumption of alcohol can damage your liver, and would also increase your chance of Liver, Pancreatic, Breast & Mouth Cancer. Drink it occasionally, if you can’t quit alcohol completely!
Start taking control of your health; make informed & healthy choices to reduce the risk of Cancer!