Being diagnosed with Cancer can be one of the most frightening experiences anyone can have. Studies reveal that 1 million new Cancer cases are being diagnosed in India every year. The news of being diagnosed with Cancer can leave you in a state of emotional turmoil which is enough for anyone to lose all hopes to live and surrender to this disease.
We often think, that we are completely healthy and immune from Cancer as there is no history of Cancer in our family. But as a matter of fact, anyone with a normal and healthy lifestyle and healthy genes can get Cancer. Cancer is one of the leading causes of death in the world, particularly in developing countries.
Few reasons why knowing about Cancer helps:
- Be aware – Being prepared and taking preventive actions can only do well to your health. Most people still think Cancer is a deadly disease which has no cure. Their knowledge about the disease is very limited which can only worsen the situation.
- Know about warning signs – Do you know 80% of Cancers are curable if they are diagnosed at an early stage? Cancer can be prevented if you know the warning signs in advance. When should you visit a doctor? What are the risk factors that cause Cancer? Information like these can make you more familiar with the disease and help you get rid of fears and clear the myths around Cancer.
- Know about Carcinogens – Carcinogens are substances in the environment that can cause Cancer. By Knowing about them, you can avoid them and lower your risk of getting Cancer.
- Remove the stigma around Cancer – Talking about Cancer is still a social stigma in India, which has increased the burden of this disease. A lot of people take Cancer as a synonym of death. It’s high time we start talking about it and make people aware about it.
- Be an emotional support to cancer patients – Cancer patients go through a lot during their treatment. Treatment has an intense effect on their health and personality. If nothing, one can definitely provide emotional support to them and motivate them to not lose their hope during this tough journey. Assure them that you have their back and will not let them fall.
One such initiative is Crab Curry – a Cancer support group, in which one gains knowledge about Cancer not only for himself but for others as well. Anyone can join Crab Curry on Facebook and become a part of this community.