Platelets are the smallest cells in our body that help in forming clots to stop bleeding. Imagine a vessel which is damaged and the blood is flowing freely into our system. In order to stop the outflow of blood, a signal is sent to the platelets, which then rush to the site of damage and form a clot to stop the bleeding. A normal platelet count ranges from 1,50,000 to 4,50,000. Low platelet count can be a result of one of the many conditions like – leukemia, anemia, viral infections (dengue), chemotherapy drugs and heavy alcohol consumption.
Here, we recommend some foods that will help you naturally increase the platelet levels over a short period of time.
1. Papaya Leaf Extract – The best one to consume when your blood platelet level is low. Just soak some of the papaya leaves in water and then heat it on medium flame to get the extract. Drink this juice 2-3 times daily to get a spike in platelet count.
2. Wheatgrass – According to a study, wheatgrass can be highly beneficial in increasing platelet count. In addition, it can cause a significant rise in red blood cell, hemoglobin, and total white blood cell count. It is due to the fact wheatgrass is rich in chlorophyll and has a molecular structure almost identical to the molecular structure of hemoglobin. All you need to do is drink half a cup of wheatgrass juice mixed with lemon daily.
3. Pumpkins – Another useful food to raise your low platelet count. Rich in Vitamin A, it supports platelet development and regulates the protein content of the body cells, which further helps in increasing platelet count. Simply drink pumpkin juice mixed with honey 2-3 times a day.
4. Spinach – Rich in Vitamin K, spinach is an excellent food that helps platelet to raise naturally. What’s so special about vitamin K is that it is very useful in treating the problems of excessive bleeding in case of cuts and injuries. Boil some spinach leaves and drink this juice 2-3 times daily to see a rise in platelet count.
5. Beet, carrot and celery – These 3 items are known for their properties to raise platelets in our blood. To get the maximum benefit from these foods, you need to eat them raw in a salad or you can make a juice by adding all of them to a jar and blending it well.
6. Eggs and Milk – Eggs are a good source of high-quality protein. Eggs and milk are considered as one of the best ways to increase platelet levels with foods. All you need to do is mix the yolk of 1-2 eggs with boiled milk and add sugar to taste. Drink this daily.
7. Nuts – Nuts like almonds, walnut, peanut and pistachios are rich in energy, protein, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, omega-3 fats and what not! Crush these nuts and store it in a jar. Boil 1 tablespoon of these nuts with a cup of milk and drink it daily for 1-2 weeks and you’ll see the results.